Sunday, March 25, 2018

Travel Journal North Table Mountain Golden Cliffs Trail

 For my travel journal I hiked on the Golden Cliffs trail on North Table Mountain, where visitors can visit the southern cliff walls of the mountain. The Table mountains in Golden I found in my research were popular for finding igneous rocks, many of which I found look similar to other postings but I was specifically excited to find a peice of rock pertruding out eroded by water from rainfall as much of the moutain seemed to be weathered from but with a portion of the top of it broken and fallen below. In the rock specimen I noticed that it was dark much like basalt but inside their were no aparent crystals because this specific rock was obsidian and amorphus meaning uncrystalyzed. This is usually formed by fast cooling lava but there were no apparent signs of this as the bubbles were very small and there were no visible signs of large bubbles of air trying to escape as would be evident by rapid cooling normally.  I also found small shards of a shiny black like crystal material which explained why this specimen didn't have the crystal like mineral formation many other rocks had,  I had found volcanic glass! The texture on the glass was noticeably smooth compared to the rest of the specimen which was very neat. I also found that under some peices of the glass material the specimen underneath was still viewable showing the translucency of the glass formed by the complex state of glass

being between a gas and crystal.

The glass unfortunately doesn't show as well in the photo:/

No comments:

Post a Comment