Saturday, March 21, 2020

C. Campbell - Igneous Rocks

The Birth of Obsidian



For this week's travel assignment, I wanted to visit the birthplace of obsidian rocks: an active volcano and no sight can compare to that at night!

I explained to my travel guide that I wanted to get as close as possible for the best shot but he wouldn't go any closer than this. I was a little disappointed, but better safe than sorry.

We camped out for a few days in a neighboring village waiting for the eruption to stop and once it did, we began the journey to the newly formed obsidian flows.


Obsidian forms when molten rock, or magma, from a volcanic eruption cools so quickly that it does not have time to form crystalline structures. This process is called quenching. It is an extrusive process, meaning it takes place above the earth's surface. The result is beautiful volcanic glass, often black but can also be found in browns, tans and green. If you're lucky, you will spot the much rarer blue, red, orange or yellow!

I managed this picture while we were still in the air.

Because obsidian does not form crystalline structures, the fracture pattern is not uniform and actually creates a beautiful conchoidal fracture named for the same pattern found on a mussel shell.

Although it was a dangerous journey, I am thrilled that I was able to see the formation of one of my favorite stones in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment