Sunday, June 28, 2020

Week 4: Volcanoes

Volcanoes

Mauna Loa is the destination for this week and I am excited!

According to the USGS, he Hawaiian name "Mauna Loa" means, "Long Mountain" The volcano was given its name because of how far it extends, which is approximately 74 miles from the southern tip of the island to to the east-northeast to the coastline near Hilo.

USGS states that, "Mauna Loa is among the Earth's most active volcanoes, having erupted 33 times since is first well-documented historical eruption in 1843. It has produced large, voluminous flows of basalt that have reached the ocean eight times since 1868. It last erupted in 1984." The volcano is carefully monitored due to to its past volatility. A side note that I thought was interesting, but makes complete sense - those who live in Hawaii and are property renters or owners must attain volcano insurance, which I'm sure for a native, the thought of a Volcano erupting doesn't cross their mind all day long, but myself I would be scared - I'm sure for no reason, but I thought that was interesting.

Fantastically Beautiful Eruption of the Mauna Loa Volcano, Hawaii ...

Kilauea and Mauna Loa Eruptions Linked | Hawaiian Volcanoes | Live ...

No comments:

Post a Comment