Thursday, June 18, 2020

Week 7 - Death Valley - Mesquite Flat Dunes

This week we decided to visit the Mequite Flat Dunes which are located in Death Valley.
source: https://www.nps.gov/tripideas/extra-few-hours-to-explore-must-see-spots-in-death-valley.htm

These are the largest Dunes in the Death Valley National Park. The dunes are comprised of sand which has collected over time. It takes a source of wind to carry the sand. One of the things I question is what is the source of this sand? And how does it continue to keep a constant supply which elevates the dunes? In order to answer these questions a geological assessment of the area and review of a topographical map would likely identify the source of the sand. This should allot me the opportunity to understand the source of the sand.

Upon further exploration of the area we notice the mountain ranges in the distance. These ranges are known as the Cottonwood Mountains. This begins to make me wonder if the source of this sand is in fact those mountain ranges? What are the types of rocks. Given my past experiences with Geological analysis it is visually apparent than the sand could likely be from feldspar and quartz from these mountains. Overall this trip was amazing and the next time I come back, I'll be bringing my board to sand board down the dunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment