Friday, November 2, 2018

Week 2- Igneous Rocks in The Dominican Republic




For the past ten years or so I have been traveling to the Dominican Republic on vacations and I have gotten to see some beautiful things while there. As a kid, I use to go there every summer as well but I didn’t get the chance to explore much then.  One of the places I would often go to walk around either by myself or with a friend is the caves and boardwalk near the ocean in Santo Domingo. I had always wondered how those rocks formed right next to the ocean. I had never seen something like that in person before, they were big and jagged and looked to have holes in them which I learned are called vesicles. I now know that these rocks formed from solidified magma or lava from a volcano eruption. These rocks were a result of the magma cooling quickly leaving it with some or no small crystals and vesicles formed from trapped gas bubbles when the magma and minerals were solidifying.  A cool thing about the rocks is that they also formed some small caves that one can go down and explore. Although I wouldn't recommend it since it is dangerous because of the waves that come crashing in, I have had some fun and not so fun times there. I have linked a video (not mine) of the area that I have been to so many times before. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-53OMQmy4

No comments:

Post a Comment