Sunday, November 18, 2018

Week 4, Volcanos - Taal Volcano


On a trip several years ago, to visit part my family, I inadvertently visited the Taal Volcano in the Philippines.  The Philippines, with 20+ volcanos, is no stranger to volcanism as it is on the eastern edge of the Pacific tectonic plate.  This area of convergent boundaries is the home to this composite volcano.  I was taken to a Starbucks with the beautiful view (Attached picture) and my family informed me that the large lake was actually a volcano.  At the time I didn’t realize how active it was.  Although I didn’t see direct evidence from past eruptions, aside from a lush landscape with younger trees, there have been 6 eruptions in the recorded history of the volcano.  Thinking back to the landscape I might initially think this was a shield volcano, like what is in Hawaii, but the eruption of 1911 not only killed 1300+ people but the ash was spewed over 50 miles from the site.  It seems to be only a matter of time before this volcano will erupt again!



No comments:

Post a Comment