Friday, August 16, 2019

Davidson Field Trip Travel Journal - Week 7 Entry

Hells Gate – Death Valley, California

My travels took me to the Hells Gate region of Death Valley.  There are fault lines here where large sections of land are shifting.  The information that would be beneficial, in constructing a geological map, are the age and type of rocks.  My question, as I look across this valley, is where the fault lines are and how far they have shifted.  A geological map of the area would show rock formations cut by this fault and where they reside today.  I could extrapolate where they started based on the matching patterns on each side of the faults.  I can see larger course rocks that have not been eroded and seem out of place.  I would question what formations these came from and use the map to determine if any larger formations of the same material are nearby.  A geologic map would help me to determine what lies under this valley and if the mountains I see in the distance are uplifted from the same deposit or if they are from an older deposit that hasn’t eroded away as quickly as the material that was in the valley.

Retrieved from https://t4.ftcdn.net/jpg/02/61/20/33/240_F_261203366_NgwZcv5Y5BhhGtw5pbXxqWlDBMmukQmy.jpg

Retrieved from http://www.itoda.com/photos/mojave-desert/peaks.html


No comments:

Post a Comment