Sunday, November 1, 2020

Igneous Rock - Dustin Fischer

As a child, like many others, I had a favorite toy. I had my slingshot. I would roam around my family's country property just outside of Sidney Nebraska looking for targets to nail with my pocket full of rocks. I had a preferred type of rock to collect when I looked for ammunition for my trusty slingshot. These rocks were very coarse, rough to the touch for sure. They were also porous and very lightweight, which made them great for packing my pockets with as they weren't heavy in large numbers. According to the charts in the course textbook, the texture and color of the rocks I had collected placed them into the Scoria classification. With this in mind, I wonder to myself if these had been brought here artificially somehow, or if they were here through natural means. Rocks with a vesicular texture are often formed in the upper layer of a lava flow, so it's strange that this rock is in the middle of the United States, as I am unaware of any nearby volcanoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment