Monday, July 22, 2019

Glaciers W3

On the same mountain as Week 2's post, I find the only glacier I have ever seen. After grassy meadows with marmots and blue skies, I suddenly find myself in an alien landscape. Plants grow, but blend in with their rocky counterparts. What looks like snow is indeed remnants of a melting and dying glacier. This alpine glacier melts and provides water for those below. It follows it predecessors path which is an alien, and barren outcropping that continues well below where I currently stand. At times I stand on the glacier, or hike across it. I feel guilty knowing that it will probably be gone within a decade or two. The types of rock that are revealed a less than proclastic. They are smooth, dark, and  new. I cannot wait to visit this mountain, Mount Rainier, each and every summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment