Sunday, July 14, 2019

Igneous Rocks

I know an igneous rock is a rock that has formed from the cooling and solidification of magma or lava. Igneous rocks are classified according to where they cooled and solidified. Intrusive where it formed from inside the with from magma, which cools slowly and grows very large crystals. Extrusive, which cool quickly from the lava on the surface of the earth, that have small or no crystals and may contain air bubbles. Knowing this I felt I had what I need to know to be able to recognize igneous rocks. To be quite honest, this was more difficult than I thought.

I knew I had to do this blog and knew my niece was taking her mom (my sister) to Mother Cabrini Mountain. I was excited on the way there, I felt "I got this", as I explained the types of igneous rocks I've learned about with my niece (age 29) and my sister (age 50). They both started to examine the rocks on the way up with me. Being from the city, I supposed, we never payed to much attention to the differential rocks over all. So not just to myself this was all knew to us all, but pretty cool to share this with them on my educational journey.

Once we got out of the vehicle to explore and hunt down some igneous rocks, my mind was so lost, due to the rocks all different but not sure what I was looking at. I took pictures of so many awesomes rocks. her is one particular one, I took three pictures of, one a bit far and the two up close. This rock through me way off. It had these metallic crystals in spot and the rock seemed very grainy where those areas were. Which I thought might be an intrusive and had a slow cooling process from magma, but to be honest I could not say if I was correct or not.

Overall, this was a pretty awesome experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment