Sunday, July 21, 2019

Week 3 Running Water



For this week's travel journal, I decided to travel with my wife to the Cumberland river here in Clarksville, TN.
She was less than ecstatic to go with me initially, but the promise of a nice dinner made quick work of that
issue. When we got to the river, the first thing I noticed were levees lining the river, which can be seen in
the photos below. These levees looked as if they were man-made but cleverly disguised to look natural.
Knowing that levees are used on rivers that flood frequently, I was immediately aware of the rivers troubled
past. The river had a moment detailing a flood in 2010, resulting from rainfall. This flood caused a 31% of T
Tennessee to be declared a major disaster area. I also noticed that the water flowed in a dendritic pattern,
due to the branch-like shape of the river. The multiple curves I observed lead me to conclude that the
Cumberland is a meandering river. I believe this to be due to the rolling hills of Tennessee. Water, finding
the path of least resistance, naturally flows between these hills, leading to meandering. Overall, the trip
was enlightening for both my wife and myself.


















The manmade levees of the Cumberland


                                                    The curvature of the Cumberland

No comments:

Post a Comment