Sunday, April 14, 2019

Kody Johnson - Week 5

Image result for fort mountain

I chose to visit a place that I visit quite often on rides. I chose the Appalachian Mountain range, specifically Fort Mountain in Chatsworth, GA. The Appalachian mountain range is a great choice for me since I have visited several different points of the range through the years. I've been all over the East coast You can visibly see that there are folded fault lines as well as what I believe to be thrust faults lines due to the angle, in the walls of the mountain. The lines appear to have a 45 degree angle to them, which is the reasoning behind thinking they are thrust fault lines. You can easily tell that the faults were made due to compression from the way that they appear and are angled. The highest point of the Appalachian mountain range as well as the highest point on the East coast is Mount Mitchell. It stands at 6,684 feet above sea level and is located in North Carolina. The Appalachian mountains run all the way from Newfoundland, Canada to Alabama. It runs the entirety of the East coast. The Appalachian mountains used to be much higher than they are today, but they have gone through centuries of erosion. The Appalachian mountains were formed from the collision of oceanic and continental crust sometime around 480 million years ago. It is definitely a site to see if you haven't already. I always enjoy my visits to Fort Mountain. I'm actually visiting a subrange of the Appalachian mountains in the next few weeks, the Smoky Mountains. I'll be viewing it from a different perspective after this weeks lesson.



References:

U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey (2017). Geologic Provinces of the United States: Appalachian Highlands Province. Retrieved from http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/province/appalach.html

No comments:

Post a Comment