Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 7 - Meagan Valero

Mosaic Canyon
















I would like to start by visiting Mosaic Canyon. You can clearly see the different layers of strata deposited over time here. They seam to be fairly uniform in their color, which leads me to decide that the geological activity and types of rock being deposited over time must have been fairly consistent. I would like to know what process lifted or weathered down these rocks so the strata are visible, and whether or not that process is still occurring today.


Split Cinder Cone














Here we see split cinder cone. I wonder what process caused this region to be elevated above the surrounding area. As you can see, a fault line runs through the center of the cone. I would like to know what kind of fault this is, and whether it is caused by tension or compression.

Titus Mosaic
















Titus Mosaic is my favorite stop on the virtual tour. Here we see dark grey, angular rocks deposited in a sandy, light brown sediment. I wonder how these large grey rocks came to be composed differently than their surrounding sediment. I'd like to know exactly what the differences are between the makeup of the light grey sediment and the larger grey rocks so I can understand the various ways they formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment