Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Week 7: Ce-Jay Locquiao's Trip to Death Valley

Amargosa Chaos


Upon visiting the Amargosa Chaos stop, we can notice the faults and folds on the rock. These faults and folds got me wondering about the process of the formation of Amargosa Chaos and how long it took for it to take formation. According to the tour guide there, they shared that Amargosa Chaos has gone through four different events to become what it is today. It's apparent that block of crust were pulled greatly apart from one another from humongous tension. To have a better understanding and answer my wonders about the formation of Amargosa Chaos, I think it would be smart to view geological maps of the place throughout long periods of time. In that way, I'll be able to see how far the along the tension ran across the map. This will also give me a sense of all the folds and faults that occurred to make such a beautiful scenery.


Artist's Drive


For the next stop, I visited the Artist's Drive and the first thing I notice is how each area in the photo have rocks that are differing in size and color. This makes me wonder if the rocks found in Artist's Drive were once a big giant rock. I think a topographic map of the Artist's Drive will help me understand the shapes and heights of the rocks found here. I also think the use of a a geological map of the Artist's Drive will be helpful in understanding the age of the rocks. The color of the rocks are differing, so I geological maps will help depict which rocks are older and which rocks are younger.

Golden Canyon



Onto the last stop of my field trip, I decide to go to Golden Canyon. My first observation I make upon arriving is the ground. The ground is full of differing sized rocks and the space seems quite narrow from all the flash floods that occurred. What type of rocks or sediments can be found in Golden Canyon (particularly along the alluvial fans)? About how many floods occurred in this area?  Are rocks found here originate from a place farther than Golden Canyon? Using a geological map will help find where the differing sized originate where I can also find out the age of each small block of rocks. The contour lines on a topographic map can help view how narrow the walls of Golden Canyon. Since there are plenty of narrow walls in Golden Canyon, I think a topographic wall will give me a sense to where floods were worse than in others. Lastly, a topographic map (possibly a geological map too) may be useful to find out where the floods are coming from (or in other words, the location of nearby water) which would help interpret the direction in which the floods were flowing within the Golden Canyon.


















No comments:

Post a Comment