Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 7- Death Valley

For week 7, we took a field trip to a place that has always been on my bucket list: The Death Valley. This place is so interesting to me because it is made up of so many different regions in one large area.  The region that really interested me the most was the Death Valley Dunes which are made up of the Cotton Wood Mountains that surround them on both sides. I think it is simple fascinating how sand starts out as a large rock and is crushed through a process by wind, rain, and tiny pieces of crushed rock overtime. It is interesting to me because it is so soft yet created by something hard and brittle. I had a few questions about wind storms, I have seen in movies people almost being swept away because they are so powerful, I want to learn more about them and also how they effect the beautiful sand ripples forming perfect patterns. 


Ripplemarks on Death Valley Dunes
















Death Valley Dunes

Frank, D. (n.d.). Death Valley geology field trip. Retrieved from https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/deva/ftdune1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment