Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 7- Field trip to Death Valley

Badlands topography


At the Badlands looking out from Zabriskie Point, with sediments of silt and clay create this beautiful effect that to me resembles waves. The multi color tops and and various sizes of these mounds brings me to the question: What is the average rain fall here? If is constant rain then it would have to cause a huge muddy mess? I would check the annual rain fall and then check how far the nearest town is to figure out how they prevent themselves or at all if flooding were to occur.
Shorelines etched into Shoreline Butte.

Shoreline Butte is the next stop we arrive to. The beautiful greenery and seeing the strandlines that are carved into the ground from the waves that once battered the shore. This brings me to a question of the history of all the lakes in the Death Valley thousands of years ago and how they have evaporated. How does the park keep them from getting filled back up? I would dive deeper into the Death Valley lakes and look at these on a topographic map to see the elevation and the surrounding around these lakes to get my answer.

Sinuous, water-sculpted curves of Mosaic Canyon marble

The last stop I would like to know more about is the Mosaic Canyon.The Sinuous, water sculpted curves of Mosaic Canyon marble. This place is breathtaking and I am in utter shock about how this canyon was formed millions of years ago. My question would be what type of fault is this canyon on for it to form the way it did millions of years ago? Would it change again if the fault that it was or still is on moves?


No comments:

Post a Comment