Sunday, April 14, 2019

Week 5- The Himalayas

For this weeks travel journal I chose to visit the Himalayan Mountains! I chose to focus on this region because I was interested in learning more about how they were formed. These beautiful mountains were formed from continental/continental drifts being pushed together by a collision between the Indian plate and the Eurasian plate. scraped off sediments from these two plates are what eventually formed the Himalayan Mountains. Due to folding and faulting the two plates were compressed together creating a very thick continental crust. The Himalayas are actually continuing to rise by 1cm per year as India is moving closer to Asia.  However, erosion and weathering are actually lowering them at about the same rate. Another reason why I chose the Himalayas is they are home to my favorite animal the Snow Leopard!
Image result for snow leopard













The Himalayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment