Sunday, April 7, 2019

Week 4 - Erta Ale - Kody Johnson




I chose Erta Ale for my volcanic visit this week. The name is what caught my attention, but Erta Ale is so much more. The name Erta Ale translates to smoking mountain. Erta Ale is a beautiful volcano that is continuously active. It sits in Northeast Ethiopia. Erta Ale stands at 2,011 ft tall and has a massive opening. Erta Ale is made up of very dark. The rock appears to be the igneous rock, basalt. The volcano is nice to look at with its steady flowing stream. It isn’t very eruptive, but the lava continuously flows. This led me to the conclusion that Erta Ale is effusive. You can see that there are pahoehoe lava fields present. It’s interesting to see the new fields meet the older lava flows. Erta Ale is a sight to see. When I think of Ethiopia, I don’t exactly think of an active volcano. I guess volcanoes can be anywhere considering many mountains are formed by volcanoes. Erta Ale doesn’t pose much of a threat. It doesn’t appear to have civilization located directly near it. Erta Ale was definitely a site to see since it is one of the most active volcanoes on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment