Friday, April 12, 2019

Week 5: Converging Plates - Cascadia Subduction Zone


Source Link: http://theconversation.com/parts-of-the-pacific-northwests-cascadia-fault-are-more-seismically-active-than-others-new-imaging-data-suggests-why-100631

For this trip, my sister decided to stay behind at home and take a rest from all these trips. So to have company, I bring my small chihuahua named Juan with me. Both Juan and I are taking a cruise along the Washington-Oregon coastline (Pacific Northwest). Though people on the cruise boat were staring at me talking to my dog, I wasn't ashamed at all. I told Juan how much I've learned about converging plates. "Juan, you're famous here! The subducting plate here is called the Juan de Fuca plate," I kidded. The Juan de Fuca plate is considered the subduction plate because it sinks beneath the North American continental plate. So the type of collision we have is known as an oceanic-continental collision/convergence. From observation, I could tell that the type of structural deformation occurring was ductile deformation. I think folding dominates the structural style with a ductile structural deformation where there is a lot of compressive stresses involved. The type of faults that are occuring in this subduction zone is thrust fault. In fact, this subduction is known to have a megathrust fault because of how far it runs along the coast. Oceanic crust are being deformed since it is subducting back into the mantle where all the rock content of the oceanic plate consists off is melting back into magma which rises and spews out from volcanoes in the volcano arches located right above . Overall, I think Juan and I really enjoyed the trip to the Cascadia subduction zone. Juan seemed a bit nervous at first, but I think he really loved my geological explanations.

Ce-Jay Locquiao

No comments:

Post a Comment