Sunday, April 22, 2018

Week 6 San Andreas Fault

As noted in previous journals the San Andreas fault has always been a big interest to me so I had visited this marvelous continental fault to learn more. Spanding roughly 800 miles tgrough California the fault is specifically made between the boundaries of the North American Plate and the Pacific Plate moving at a a horizontal motion. Originally the fault was created due to these two tectonic plates sliding past one another in opposite directions. The displacement of the plates caused stress on both sides of the faults displacing and stretching everything till we have as we see today. This transform fault is notably  one of the well most known transform faults but its movement has been known to cause great seismic activity. I would be interested to see in scale the amount of seismic activity that is produced in this area especially compared to other areas in California. Interestingly enough there is insufficient data to correlate this and as well I would be interested in seeing the area in a climate scale to see how this activity may affect weather compared to other areas in order to see a higher relationship from the two. Lastly I would love to see the topographical area to see where the geothermal temperature relates to this as well. Overall I enjoyed my trip to California and I am excited to share my findings witg you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment